What's In Your Talent?

Oh, I write this post with loads of passion. Better yet, take shelter, for you may come under fire...I have heavy trigger fingers and this keyboard is fully loaded!
Through out the years, the work of my hands has made it's way into the public eye. A friend will ask for a favor, someone's getting married or had a baby, or "Maymers" makes a debut...and somehow I always manage to get this response: "God has given you an awesome talent, you should really do something with it." AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Or even better: It's such a shame she's not doing anything with the talent God gave her.  I can tell you that this has been said on several occassions, mostly by relatives. Perhaps it's the way they communicate one to another about my endeavors. That would explain it of course. But what surprises me, is that not a single one of them had the common sense to say what I'm hoping anyone reading this has put together: The only reason you know I have any talent is because of what I'm doing with it!
Let me just take a moment to bring some Almighty Clarity up in here: First of all, you laughed when I decided to pursue art. Then, when it became obvious through years of hardwork and never going a day without developing my style, skills, and dream...that I was going to do something with it...Then you want to chime in with: Oh yes, she can do something with it, she's just not. Really? Ya'll want some stones? We can do this the old fashion way and just get it over with.

If you only had the talent, you would do this, this, and this...ha! If you had the talent, your primary concern would be the money and that's exactly why you don't have it. It's not just the talent, it's the light within the person carrying it that shines through. If I sell my soul to gain the favor and respect of man, the fire will go out and the house will get cold. You can't develop a dream if you don't first allow God to develop your heart. Until you can comprehend that thought, be well advised that I have no concern for your words or thoughts on the matter of my "talent".
To all my fellow artist friends: May you have a close few who always cherish YOU above your dreams, yet love you enough to believe you'll achieve them. And to the rest, baaa humbug!

1 comments:



Katie said...

Lol. Well spoken. And for the record, I know some little Mansfield Elementary School munchkins who were touched by the talent in your first book. :)

Post a Comment